Green oases instead of asphalt, clean air instead of smog. Places to meet friends instead of busy intersections. Streets filled with pedestrians, bikers, skaters and playing children instead of traffic jams… an utopian fantasy?
Green City e.V. is working to make this dream reality, piece by piece. Together, we are making Munich a better place to live with alternative forms of transportation, sustainable city planning and conscientious energy use. Our vision of Munich is a city from the people for the people.
Think. Join in. Create.
A handful of dedicated people founded Green City in 1990 with the goal of creating a people-friendly and green Munich. Today we can count on almost 1000 fellow campaigners, coordinated by a six-person managing board and a professional team of twelve. In the last two decades, we’ve made Munich more lovable with successes such as these:
- Call a Bike: In 1994, Green City initiated the bicycle rental system that was taken over in 2000 by German Rail (Deutsche Bahn).
- Das bessere Bürgerbegehren (The better Referendum): Just shy of half the people in Munich voted for less traffic and against building tunnels on Munich’s main Mittlerer Ring road in 1996.
- Munich Blade Night: Europe’s largest night skate event was initiated by Green City in 2000.
- Green City Energy AG: Green City founded a subsidiary in 2005 and is still the major stockholder in what is now a limited company realizing renewable energy projects and helping secure economic cycles on the regional level.
- PARK(ing) DAY: Since 2007, in cooperation with local residents, organisations and businesses, we reclaim parking spaces in Munich on this day of global action and transform them into mini parks.
For me, for Munich, for the world
We are reclaiming the streets as living space. We’re making urban life greener and more pleasant – with trees, flowers and benches. We advocate and promote more bicycles, trains, buses and other sustainable transportation modes.
By championing renewable energy and energy efficiency, we are securing foundations for future generations. Munich has the potential to run entirely on energy captured from water, wind, and the sun!
We do it naturally
We don’t just talk, we act – with courage, vision and enthusiasm. We get a kick out of implementing our ideas in unexpected, lively ways. We like to actively include as many people as possible to tackle projects right at our doorstep. That’s where we can make change happen, for example:
- Carrotmob: Via online networking, we activate critical consumers – and show how each and every one of us can personally contribute to climate protection.
- Ökolumbini: Children meet once a month to learn about our local environment in a creative, hands-on way.
- Cycling Through Life/ Life-Cycle: Mobility for all – that’s our motto. We offer individual bicycle courses for immigrants, seniors, and people with disabilities.
- Streetlife-Festival: Two times a year 200,000 people reclaim the streets as we transform Munich’s main boulevard, the Leopold- and Ludwigstraße, into the biggest pedestrian promenade in the city!
- Traveling Trees: With trees on wheels, we call for more green in the city. Our traveling trees have taken root in more than 150 places.
Think with us! Work with us!
Take action and get involved at Green City. You can expect fun and plenty of action as well as interesting projects and contacts. Whether as a volunteer, online activist, member or donor, there are many ways to help!
Get in touch:
Green City e.V.
D – 80336 Munich
Tel.: +49 (0) 89 890 668 -0
Fax: +0049 (0) 89 890 668 -66
GLS Bank, Account 76 08 78 01, Bank identification code 430 609 67
BIC/Swift-Code:GENODEM1GLS, IBAN:DE06 4306 0967 0076 0878 01
We thank you for your understanding that most of our content is in German only.